Common Toxicities in Cats and Dogs
Pet Poison Helpline and ASPCA compile a list of poisonous pet things every year based on their poison helplines.
The most common poisonings noted by them are over the counter medications and human prescriptions, human foods, chocolates, plants, rodenticides, insecticides, garden products and veterinary medications.
Below is a list of common things that are toxic to dogs and cats:
1. Human foods like grapes, raisins, xylitol, onions, garlic and protein and snack bars, nuts, avocados, chocolate etc
2. Rodenticides: Despite no rats in Alberta, we do see rodenticide toxicity regularly enough.
3. Insecticides and Garden products like fertilizers are also toxic to a lot of pets.
4. Over the counter medications like Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, cold and flu medicine are all toxic. So please store your medications carefully.
5. Chocolate toxicity is probably the most common kind of toxicity that we ever field phone calls about.
Call us or visit aspca.org or pet poison helplines for more info.